Preliminary version of ts package

Prof Brian D Ripley
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:56:25 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> Brian
> >In general, I am not trying to clone S, most notably as S-PLUS uses class
> >rts not ts, so very little code exists that uses S's class ts. Surely the
> >point of R is not _better_?  There are lots of detail improvements,
> >with more to come.
> Yes, hopefully there will be lots of improvements. But I think everyone has
> agreed that we want S compatability for the default behaviour, so if  "ts" is

Not in my time with R: can you give me the reference to that agreement,
please. (If it is a generic comment, there are many, many exceptions.)

> not going to be the default, then the default needs to be defined. Then, for
> example, we cannot have
> start.default <- function (x)  start.ts(ts(x))
> as it is now.

Why not?  S-PLUS thinks 1:10 has start=c(1,1), end=c(10,1), and would any
sane person think that?  (I might buy c(1,0)....)

Brian D. Ripley,
Professor of Applied Statistics,

r-devel mailing list -- Read
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"