R-0.61.1 compiled with egcs-mingw32

guido@sirio.stat.unipd.it guido@sirio.stat.unipd.it
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 09:56:06 +0100 (GMT+0100)

 Peter Dalgaard BSA writes:

 > Ouch! In that case, I suggest that we try to put some collective
 > effort into getting something working with RSXNT. The only thing that
 > bothers me a little is that RSXNT isn't quite GPL compatible (you have
 > to pay a license for non-freeware usage) but I suppose that (a) it's a
 > very mild restriction, and (b) it can hardly be worse than shipping
 > GCC itself for RSXNT... There are certainly a lot of good things to be
 > said for using GCC throughout.

 1) More than one year ago, hence, maybe, things are changed, I download
 RSXNT. However, I had problems to run its demo under MsWin3.1 (not under
 Win95). So, I prefered to give up. Just a limited experience, however.
 The other problem that I see is that, if I understand well,
 RSXNT is the effort of just one pearson  not of a team.

 2) What about DOS? Do you think that we really need a GUI console under
 Microsoft-something? A couple of week ago, I took a look to the
 R code thinking to recompile it with DJGPP. I didn't try but it seems
 possible. The advantages that I can see are:
  a) DJGPP is stable, mature and supported.
  b) I have limited experence but dynamic linking with DJGPP works
     better than under Windows. For me, of course. And I am not a
     Windows programmers. But, I was able to to build dyn. libs
     which call routines in the main executable (and we need this
     non only for call_R but also for R_alloc and S_alloc).
     With, just 3 #define's its possible to use the dlopen/dlsym/dlclose
     interface.
  c) Same user interface under MsWindows and Unix (character+readline).
  d) DJGPP has g77.
  e) From DOS to WinNt, only one executable.
  A couple of disadvantages are:
  a) Old fashion.
  b) We need a new device. I suggest one based on grx (the standard djgpp
     graphic library) since this will have a small side effect:
     grx is available also for the linux console so can be used under
     linux without X (I remember some question about this on
     the R mailing list).
  c) dll's must be built using djgpp; anyway, djgpp is GPL.

  Comments? I have no time for a couple of weeks, but, after, if you
  think that can be a worth tentative, I can make  the first
  attempt (manage to recompile the non-graphic part +
  write a first draft for the graphic device if the previous
  point go well).

  guido m.

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"