[ESS] Possible problem with Org 9.6?

Frederic Santos |reder|c@@@nto@ @end|ng |rom u-borde@ux@|r
Wed Nov 30 10:35:21 CET 2022

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was released Org 9.6. Since the update, all R code blocks in Org documents with ":results output: type no longer return any output in the Org document. (Meanwhile, other types such as ":results value" or ":results file" still work as expected.) For instance, the following code block:

#+begin_src R :results output :session *R* :exports both
x <- 2:4
print(x)
#+end_src

returns an empty output for me, although it is correctly executed in the inferior *R* buffer.

I can reproduce this issue using the minimal init file attached (with emacs -q -l init_min.el). My versions are:
ess-version: 18.10.3snapshot [elpa: 20221124.756]
Org mode version 9.6
GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.34, cairo version 1.17.6) of 2022-09-12
R version 4.2.2

Org maintainers can *not* reproduce this issue if they don't load ESS, and thus think that this might be an ESS-related issue (or a weird ESS/R interaction in my case).

1) Can anyone reproduce the bug using the same Org and ESS versions?
2) If so, any clue? :)

Thanks!
Frédéric.