[ESS] Emacs 28.1 Modified for macOS now available

Vincent Goulet v|ncent@gou|et @end|ng |rom me@com
Thu Jul 28 00:06:18 CEST 2022

Hi everyone,

People have voted (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/ess-help/2022-April/013045.html), I listened. A new version of my Emacs distribution based on version 28.1 is now available for macOS:

	https://vigou3.gitlab.io/emacs-modified-macos/

I should be able to build a Windows version in a short while when I have access to a Windows (virtual) machine. (I now have an M1 Mac that cannot run Windows in VMWare.)

From the release notes (please read):

## Updates

- Emacs 28.1 released 4 April 2022 based off the macOS binary release
  28.1-4 of David Caldwell.
- ESS 18.10.3snapshot, actually the tip of the development branch as
  of this distribution's release date.
- AUCTeX 13.1
- markdownmode.el v2.5
- Libre Office English dictionary 2022.07.01

## Changes

- Org is removed from the distribution as version 9.5 is included in
  Emacs 28. Installation from the sources is deprecated anyway.
- David Holm's TabBarMode is removed from the distribution as it does
  not compile with Emacs 28.1.
- Since a directory 'site-lisp' inside the application bundle (e.g.
  '/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/') is no
  longer included in 'load-path' by default, the extensions are
  installed in the 'lisp' directory instead.

The last change puzzled me for some time. Then, I hit a recently instated limit on the size of attached files in GitLab. I had to change my release strategy to (ab)use Package registries. Fortunately, I didn't need to go all the CI/CD route and I can still just build locally with my trusty old tools ('make' and friends).

Best,

v.

Vincent Goulet
Professeur titulaire