[ESS] Advice on setting up ESS to edit and knit Rmarkdown files

Lionel Henry ||one|@hry @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Sep 22 15:15:42 CEST 2021

We'd love to do a release but ESS is not in a good place right now.
Recent versions of Emacs interrupt background commands (essential to
completion and contextual help like eldoc) when the user starts
typing, which causes hard to solve problems.

The dev branch is mostly working but not 100% correctly. Unfortunately
none of us seem to have the time to work on ESS at the moment.

That said, while Martin, Vitalie and I notice issues here and there,
we haven't had serious bug reports in a while, despite the dev branch
being used by many Melpa users. So maybe releasing in the current
state is better than nothing.

Best,
Lionel