[ESS] Advice on setting up ESS to edit and knit Rmarkdown files

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Sun Sep 19 08:33:45 CEST 2021

I am having problems with long Rmd files (and large data, long processing times) in Rstudio. (Sorry, yes, I use Emacs for things and
ESS when I'm working with R (but rarely Rmd files) on a server, but I use Rstudio routinely "at home".) This has made me decide it's

http://johnstantongeddes.org/open%20science/2014/03/26/Rmd-polymode.html

looked pretty straightforward but I thought I should ask here if any changes since 2014 might make that too historical, perhaps not
as I couldn't find much that was recent on the topic of ESS and Rmd.  However, before I mess with an Emacs/ESS that works just fine
currently, I thought I'd ask here.

I'm running on Ubuntu 20.04 "at home" and Debian (4.19.152-1 (2020-10-18) in case it matters) on the server (and might as well
set things up on both if it's easy).

Any advice will be gratefully received (and, who knows, might even tempt me back to Emacs/ESS for much more of what I'm doing!)

TIA,

Chris

--
Chris Evans (he/him) <chris using psyctc.org> Visiting Professor, University of Sheffield and UDLA, Quito, Ecuador
I do some consultation work for the University of Roehampton <chris.evans using roehampton.ac.uk> and other places

If you want an Emeeting, I am trying to keep them to Thursdays and my diary is at:
   https://www.psyctc.org/pelerinage2016/ceworkdiary/
Beware: French time, generally an hour ahead of UK.