[ESS] Trailing slash deleted from find-file prompt

Brendan.Halpin Brend@n@H@|p|n @end|ng |rom u|@|e
Fri Mar 5 12:21:11 CET 2021

To demonstrate:

Starting an R session with M-x R. The comments "# default-directory" are evaluated with C-u C-x C-e. Sourcing a small file doesn't change default-directory, but running it from the buffer with C-c C-r strips the final slash.

ess-version: 18.10.3snapshot [elpa: 20210227.2101] (loaded from /home/brendan/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20210227.2101/)

> setwd('/tmp/test/')
> # default-directory "/tmp/test/"
> ls()
character(0)
> # default-directory "/tmp/test/"
> source("mwe.R")
[1] "Start 2021-03-05 10:44:32"
[1] "End   2021-03-05 10:44:32"
> # default-directory "/tmp/test/"
> start <- Sys.time()
+ print(sprintf("Start %s", start))
+ print(sprintf("End   %s", Sys.time()))
> [1] "Start 2021-03-05 10:44:49"
> [1] "End   2021-03-05 10:44:49"
> # default-directory "/tmp/test"

However, I can't reproduce this all the time: in a fresh emacs session it might not happen to begin with.

I have reproduced this in emacs -q, with just:
(package-initialize)
(require 'ess)
as setup, so it's not down to my (extensive) cruft.

It may be worth noting that this happens in the *R* buffer, but not the mwe.R buffer (which retains the correct value).

Regards,

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147