[ESS] How to tame a jumpy iESS buffer?

John Haman m@|| @end|ng |rom johnh@m@n@org
Sun Sep 13 04:07:42 CEST 2020

Thanks. I bisected my .emacs and found that that jumpiness is being
caused by my preferred eldoc setup. I use

   (setq eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p t)

which let's eldoc use more than one mini-buffer line. When the
minibuffer expands to 2+ lines, the comint buffer jumps.

Maybe you can try enabling this and see if it causes comint jumpiness.

FWIW I'm using Emacs 26.3, and the latest ESS on Melpa.

Thanks.

-John