[ESS] Using the R package styler to format buffer (problems with Rmd files)

Sven Hartenstein ||@t@ @end|ng |rom @venh@rten@te|n@de
Fri Sep 4 18:43:59 CEST 2020

Dear ESS users and developers,

I would like to -- from within ESS -- use the R package styler
(https://styler.r-lib.org) to format R and Rmd files according to the
tidyverse formatting rules.

As the above mentioned website sais, there is the emacs package
https://github.com/lassik/emacs-format-all-the-code which can format R
files by parsing them through styler. This works well with R
files. However, I have no luck with this package and Rmd (Rmarkdown)
files.

(1) Has anyone managed to use styler for Rmd files from within Emacs?

(2) Wouldn't this be a cool feature of ESS to be able to parse the
current buffer through styler? (I guess it should be rather easy to
parse the current buffer through a R function, but my programming skills
do not suffice.)

Best,

Sven