[ESS] error merging R source files in ESS mode

David Romano d@rom@no@@c@rpett@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jun 20 17:29:32 CEST 2020

Hi,

I'm a long-time Emacs and R user, but have never used ESS (at least
not on purpose -- it's bundled with Aquamacs Emacs, which is what I
use.)

I often use Emacs to merge other types of files, but when I just
selected two R source files to merge, I got the error message:

"Customise alist is not specified, nor  ess-local-customize-alist is set."

but comparing the files didn't trigger the error.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions about how to get merge working, or
where to look for information about how to get it working.  Aside from
disabling ESS-mode, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Many thanks,
David Romano