[ESS] problem with emacsclient

William McCoy wdmccoy @end|ng |rom geo@um@@@@edu
Wed Jun 3 02:45:23 CEST 2020

On 6/2/20 2:13 PM, William McCoy via ESS-help wrote:
> I have another problem with my ESS configuration (ESS version
> 18.10.3snapshot).  My editor in R is set as 'emacsclient':
>
> !> options("editor")
>  $editor
>  [1] "emacsclient"
>
> However, when I execute help() or use C-c C-v, I get a new buffer with
> the following message:
>
> + emacsclient: file name or argument required
> Try 'emacsclient --help' for more information
>
> I do have the doc files installed and help() works fine when running R
> in a plain terminal.
>
> Can someone point out what seems to be wrong with my configuration?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bill

I should add that I have these options set in my R session.

  > options()$help.pager
  [1] "emacsclient"
  > options()$editor
  [1] "emacsclient"
  > options()$pager
  [1] "emacsclient"

And I have (server-start) at the end of my init.el file.

The page(), fix(), and edit() functions do work properly, but I still
get the message listed in my original message when I use help(), ?, or
C-c C-v.

Thanks for any advice you might have to help fix this problem.

Bill