[ESS] Prevent new buffer for help from point

Tyler Smith ty|er @end|ng |rom p|@nt@rum@c@
Fri Feb 7 16:06:49 CET 2020

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 9:15 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel via ESS-help wrote:

> On 7 February 2020 at 09:06, Alex Branham wrote:
> | Can you reproduce this without your .emacs file?
>
> But ESS would not be turned on without it.

Since this only appears to be affecting your system, chances are there's something in your config involved. And since this just appeared, maybe it's a combination of a change in a recent ESS release that interacts badly?

You can load ESS without your .emacs file via

  emacs -Q

followed by running the following code:

  (require 'package)
  (setq package-load-list
      '((ess t)
        (julia-mode t)))
  (package-initialize)

(assuming you installed via `package`)

That would allow us to at least rule out a bug in the version of ESS you've got, and give you a starting place for adding your .emacs back in to narrow down the source of the problem.

I have a directory of these snippets, `ess.el`, `auctex.el`, `org.el`, `polymode.el`, each with a minimal config for the package in question, since I regularly discover new ways to break things ;)

Good luck,

Tyler