[ESS] Running R over tramp

Sat Dec 19 20:55:30 CET 2020

On 19 December 2020 at 15:04, Chris Wallace via ESS-help wrote:
| Dear Jeremie,
|
| short answer:
| - ess version 18.10.3snapshot
| - R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05) -- "Action of the Toes"
| - local system: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

I use it too, and the R binary I look after for Debian is easily available
via an apt-get'able repo on each CRAN mirror. See the README.html there; many
(many !!) people use this happily.

| - remote system: Scientific Linux release 7.9 (Nitrogen)

If I had to guess, I would maybe suspect issue between ssh (protocol)
versions. To sort that out, try to get hold of a matching distro on the other
side (laptop, Docker, borrow one, ...).

It is ssh that controls the processes. R itself should be fairly unaffected
by how it is called.

| long answer (sorry):
| I do not believe this is a problem with ess. It is a long standing
| issue for me that has persisted across multiple versions of emacs, ess,
| R and (local) Ubuntu.  It does not occur when I have run R via tramp on
| other remote systems. I believe it is a problem particular to this
| remote system, and am seeking a workaround.

Yes it is plausible that the ssh versions between Ubuntu and SL are out of
sync.

Dirk

https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org