[ESS] Running R over tramp

Chris Wallace cew54 @end|ng |rom c@m@@c@uk
Fri Dec 18 11:48:11 CET 2020

Dear ESS-help,

it is frankly still magic to me that I can run R over tramp, and this
is my main mode of working.  When starting a new R session, I open a .R
file on the remote machine via tramp, and then M-x R. About 20% of the
time this just works, and I have all the nice ESS help etc.  The result
of the time, either the R prompt hangs, and I have to C-c C-c out of
the hang, or the code that is being silently sourced appears at the
prompt (I have pasted an example of this below). After this the session
still works, but I might not have completion, and help doesn't work.
 Eg writing ?ls at the prompt gives an error "Error in
.ess.command(.ess.help("ls")) : object 'withVisib' not found".

The remote server does have relatively slow IO, and I suspect this may
be the cause of the issue.

My question (finally) is: how can I find out the code that is being
sourced and sent to the remote process, and can I source this code
manually myself to "fix" these cases when it has failed itself?

Thanks for a wonderful package,

Chris

R version 3.6.1 (2019-07-05) -- "Action of the Toes"
Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> Error: unexpected '}' in "    }"
> Error: unexpected '}' in "}"
> > . + > Error: unexpected 'else' in:
"
        else"
> Error: object 'name' not found
> Error: unexpected '}' in "}"
> >
> Error: object '.ess.' not found
> + + > Error: unexpected symbol in:
"        nsenv <- asNamespace(n
    stopifnot"
> + > Error in identical(nsenv, .BaseNamespaceEnv) : object 'nsenv' not
found
> Error: object 'spr' not found
> > + > Error: unexpected symbol in:
"    if (enviro
        return"
> Error: unexpected '}' in "    }"
> > Error in essenv[[".__ESSENV__."]] <- TRUE : object 'essenv' not
found
> Error: object 'at' not found
> > . + > Error: unexpected symbol in:
"
    on.exit"
> + + > Error: unexpected '}' in:
"        lockBinding(ns
    }"
> > Error: object 'essenv' not found
> Error: unexpected '}' in "}"
> > . + > Error: unexpected symbol in:
".ess_devtools_functions <- function() {
  if (!requireNamespace("devtools"
> Error in .ess_mpi_send("error", msg) :
  could not find function ".ess_mpi_send"
> Error: internal error
> Error: unexpected '}' in "  }"
  could not find function ".ess_keep"
> Error in .ess_keep(funs_pkg, is_first_arg, "pkg") :
  could not find function ".ess_keep"
> Error in sort(names(funs_pkg)) : object 'funs_pkg' not found
> > Error: object 'funs_names' not found
> Error: unexpected '}' in "}"
> Error: unexpected '}' in "}"
> Error in .ess.command(options(STERM = "iESS", str.dendrogram.last =
"'",  :
  object 'withVisib' not found