[ESS] unexpected character when evaling a region

Balint Tamasi b@||nt@t@m@@| @end|ng |rom uzh@ch
Wed Oct 9 15:19:21 CEST 2019

Dear All,

Emacs: GNU Emacs 26.3 with Doom Emacs, ESS version 18.10.3snapshot, OS:
Ubuntu 18.04

I'm trying to set up ESS on a Linux laptop, which worked perfectly on my
Macbook. When I work on a .R file and try to send code to a running R
process with ess-eval-region in some cases whitespaces are substituted with
'\302' which results in errors.

For example if I type

fit <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars)

and hit C-c C-j, I get

> fit <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars)
Error: unexpected input in "fit <- lm(dist ~ speed, data =\302"

But if I go back to the .R file, delete the space after the =, add it
again, and evaluate the line (which is seemingly the same as in the
previous case), the error goes away.

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated

Thanks,

Balint Tamasi