[ESS] Possible to interact with julia-repl?

HaiYing Wang whygp@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Aug 25 17:07:51 CEST 2019

Hi Vitalie,

Thank you very much for your information. I find this is related to the
variable "ess-local-process-name" or "ess-current-process-name". Here are
some additional information.

>From my script file, say "script.jl", if I execute an ESS command, say "C-c
C-j", then the value of this variable "ess-local-process-name" is set to
"julia".
Now if I exit julia without killing the ESS process buffer, named
"*julia*", and then execute a "julia-repl" command from "script.jl", a
fully functioning julia-repl will start in the buffer "*julia*".
If I kill the buffer "*julia*" after I exit julia, I would be asked to
choose an ' > ess-dialect' if I execute a "julia-repl" command from
"script.jl". The advantage of this is that the julia-repl will be
recognized as an ESS process and all other scripts files can interact with
it.
For these two procedures, there is always an error message:
Error running timer ‘ess--idle-timer-function’: (wrong-type-argument
stringp nil)

Similar to the above situation, I find if I am able to set the value of
"ess-local-process-name" to "julia", then the script file can interact with
julia-repl. However, I don't know how to do this. It seems these variables
cannot be changed by user.

Best,
HaiYing