[ESS] Error starting R

Neil Shephard n@heph@rd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Oct 3 21:39:04 CEST 2018

Timely

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 at 20:16, Alex Branham <alex.branham using gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've tried disabling ess-smart-underscore as Alex suggests but no joy.
>
> I'm not familiar with how this package works but disabling it (by
> removing the "require" from your init file) might not be enough. Emacs's
> package manager autoloads some functionality if the package is simply
> installed on your system. It doesn't do this if you do "emacs -Q", which
> might explain why you don't see this error then.
>
> Timely as I've just been playing around and you are absolutely right,
simply commenting out ess-smart-underscore from the settings wasn't
sufficient.  I decided to try manually delete it and ess from
~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess* completely and lo-and-behold  I can now start R under
Emacs/ESS with M-x R again.

However, this is from the system-wide install of Emacs (currently ess-17.11
under Gentoo).

I did try installing just ess-20181003.1614 after seeing it had been
updated today but that didn't work either.

For me personally thats not a problem as I'm happy with not having the
latest ESS, and I won't miss the functionality of ess-smart-underscore.

As an aside it doesn't look like ess-smart-underscore is that old, current
version on MELPA is from last month 20180911.523, some of the other ess
packages are very old (ess-smart-equals was last updated 2015;
ess-R-data-view 2013).

If there is anything I can do to help fathom out what is going on let me
know. I've included the debug from installing ess-20181003.1614 below for
reference.  This happens after installing from MELPA under the same Emacs
instance, no restarting.  If I delete ~/.emacs.d/elpa/ess-20181003.1614 and
restart Emacs M-x R works fine (as its using ess-17.11 from the main
system).

Thanks to yourself and Jeremie for your help and to all
developers/maintainers.

Neil

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument consp nil)
  byte-code("\301\302 \"\303\241\210\301\304
\"\305\241\210\306\307\300\"\207" [ess-r-customize-alist assoc
ess-font-lock-keywords (quote ess-R-font-lock-keywords)
inferior-ess-font-lock-keywords (quote inferior-ess-r-font-lock-keywords)
defalias R-customize-alist] 3)
  autoload-do-load((autoload "ess-r-mode" "Call 'R', the 'GNU S' system
from the R Foundation.\nOptional prefix (\\[universal-argument]) allows to
set command line arguments, such as\n--vsize.  This should be OS
agnostic.\nIf you have certain command line arguments that should always be
passed\nto R, put them in the variable `inferior-R-args'.\n\nSTART-ARGS can
be a string representing an argument, a list of\nsuch strings, or any other
non-nil value.  In the latter case, you\nwill be prompted to enter
arguments interactively.\n\n(fn &optional START-ARGS)" t nil) R)
  command-execute(R record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "R" "R")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "R" "R")
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)
--
*Natural selection is a mechanism for generating an exceedingly high **degree
of improbability.* - R.A. Fisher

*Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge* - Charles
Darwin

PGP Public : https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x0E7ECE9C10D7B4A0

Website - http://kimura.no-ip.info/