[ESS] Ever consider changing indentation on #?

Stephen Eglen @je30 @end|ng |rom c@m@@c@uk
Mon May 8 12:40:59 CEST 2017

> Maybe, but it isn't a standalone tool and isn't designed to format.
> We need a configurable formatter (just like R linters are configurable)
> because we have multiple standard styles. Unlike Go, R hasn't
> enforced a style from the beginning. Perhaps linters could be turned
> into formatters easily?

The "styler" package that Ahmadou noted has promise (for one, Yihui is
mentoring its development, so perhapsd it will replace formatR), as
configurability is mentioned.

I've come to the view over the years (hat tip to Phil Lord) that Emacs
often tries too hard to do too much.  Its great that Emacs has great
indentation skills, but if most users I collaborate with don't use Emacs
(which is a sad fact), we need tools that everyone can use.  So I will
watch styler (unless anything better comes along) and see how useful it
is and if so, how it can interact with ESS.

Stephen