[ESS] Ever consider changing indentation on #?

Ista Zahn |@t@z@hn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 4 17:12:27 CEST 2017

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Lionel Henry <lionel.hry using gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 4 mai 2017, at 16:22, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I understand I can fix my init.el go avoid this, but it would be nicer
>> for my purpose
>> if this were in ESS itself, because I keep telling students to use it
>> and they are put off/discouraged
>> by this.
>
> Emacs is for people willing to put the effort into customisation.
> Your students are probably better off with RStudio. That said
> I agree that good defaults are important.

Yes, IMO Emacs/ESS isn't going to compete with Rstudio on
out-of-the-box convenience. But we can compete on features! Put this
in your config file

(add-hook 'ess-mode-hook
          (lambda()
            ;; don't indent comments
            (setq ess-indent-with-fancy-comments nil)
            ;; turn on outline mode
            (setq-local outline-regexp "[# ]+")
            (outline-minor-mode t)))

and not only will single # comments not be aligned at comment-column,
but code folder will work too!