[ESS] Ever consider changing indentation on #?

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at me.com
Sat May 6 16:30:39 CEST 2017

> Le 4 mai 2017 à 22:49, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Please raise your hand if you have EVER used # to document R code in
> the way mentioned on the LISP coding standards page.

I do, all the time ever since I (more or less by accident) discovered the functionality. Actually, all the code I distribute to my students is commented this way; see e.g.

	https://github.com/vigou3/introduction-programmation-r/blob/master/bases.R

It should be noted that this commenting style also works in LaTeX mode (granted, a single % somewhere on the right being less useful with text). For me, it just makes more sense that the higher the number of comment markers, the stronger the emphasis (or vice versa).

Call me an old timer ;-), but I would vote against a change to the *default* behaviour. I see this commenting style as pure Emacsism and would expect any programming mode (Markdown excepted for obvious reasons) to respect it by default. Furthermore, I think ESS does not have to play catch up or to adapt to RStudio.

Now, that said, I'm all in favour to have an easy to toggle ESS option to change Emacs/lisp commenting style to Markdown style (since that's what we're talking about) if someone wants to provide the patch.

v.