[ESS] ESS 16.10 released

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at me.com
Mon Oct 24 19:38:56 CEST 2016

[snipped announcement]

>> To Martin and ESS core:
>
>> I realize I should have tested this in beta phase, but here goes: when building ESS from a fresh archive, I get this error on OS X:
>
>> In end of data:
>> ess-julia.el:431:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
>> defined: ess-julia--get-objects, ess-julia--retrive-topics,
>> ess-julia--get-components, ess-julia-objects, company-begin-backend,
>> company-in-string-or-comment, company-doc-buffer,
>> ess-julia-get-object-help-string, julia-mode
>> wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JuliaLang/julia-emacs/master/julia-mode.el > julia-mode.el
>> /bin/sh: wget: command not found
>> make[2]: *** [julia-mode.el] Error 127
>
>> Indeed, fetching files on OS X (aka macOS now) requires curl instead of wget.
>
> This comes from <ess>/Makeconf
>
> DOWNLOAD = wget -O -
>
> Since we rely on GNU makefile style anyway, we could replace the
> above by smart if(.) constructions... But MacOS and Windows may
> change again in the future ... (and Linux too, but there we find
> that an replace 'wget ..' appropriately).
>
> On the other hand, R has  download.file()  and "everybody" has
> R, so we could think of replacing that by
>
>   Rscript -e 'download.file(..........)'
>
> and rely that R will be updated to keep download.file() always
> working  ??

I could override the DOWNLOAD variable in my Makefile as I do for a few others, but I guess a more portable solution on your end would be better. Overriding DESTDIR or SITELISP for the specific needs of my distribution is fine, but ESS should build normally on common platforms.

>> On Windows, wget is ok, but I get an "The certificate of 'raw.githubusercontent.com' is not trusted" error.
>
> Hmm... I think this should be workable-around by a  wget switch?
>
>> Surprisingly, relaunching the build process worked on both platforms.
>
> (Well, 'make' is not perfect and even more our Makeconf/Makefile setup is not)
>
>> Both problems seem related to build system-specific instructions in the ESS Makefiles.
>
> *'Both'* ?  Which problem apart from 'wget -O -' not working
> correctly on Mac and Windows?

Sorry for the wording. Yes, one issue, two platforms.

v.