[ESS] ESS 16.10 released

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Oct 24 18:36:25 CEST 2016

    > To all: my Emacs distributions are updated:

    > macOS: http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/mac/
    > Windows: http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/emacs/windows/

Excellent.
Thank you very much, Vincent, for providing them so nicely pre-packaged!

    > To Martin and ESS core:

    > I realize I should have tested this in beta phase, but here goes: when building ESS from a fresh archive, I get this error on OS X:

    > In end of data:
    > ess-julia.el:431:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
    > defined: ess-julia--get-objects, ess-julia--retrive-topics,
    > ess-julia--get-components, ess-julia-objects, company-begin-backend,
    > company-in-string-or-comment, company-doc-buffer,
    > ess-julia-get-object-help-string, julia-mode
    > wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JuliaLang/julia-emacs/master/julia-mode.el > julia-mode.el
    > /bin/sh: wget: command not found
    > make[2]: *** [julia-mode.el] Error 127

    > Indeed, fetching files on OS X (aka macOS now) requires curl instead of wget.

This comes from <ess>/Makeconf

DOWNLOAD = wget -O -

Since we rely on GNU makefile style anyway, we could replace the
above by smart if(.) constructions... But MacOS and Windows may
change again in the future ... (and Linux too, but there we find
that an replace 'wget ..' appropriately).

On the other hand, R has  download.file()  and "everybody" has
R, so we could think of replacing that by

   Rscript -e 'download.file(..........)'

and rely that R will be updated to keep download.file() always
working  ??

    > On Windows, wget is ok, but I get an "The certificate of 'raw.githubusercontent.com' is not trusted" error.

Hmm... I think this should be workable-around by a  wget switch?

    > Surprisingly, relaunching the build process worked on both platforms.

(Well, 'make' is not perfect and even more our Makeconf/Makefile setup is not)

    > Both problems seem related to build system-specific instructions in the ESS Makefiles.

*'Both'* ?  Which problem apart from 'wget -O -' not working
 correctly on Mac and Windows?

    > Hope this helps.
    > v.

Yes, very much, thank you, Vincent!