[ESS] [ESS-bugs] \Sexpr

Therneau, Terry M., Ph.D. therneau at mayo.edu
Tue May 24 19:14:11 CEST 2016

On 05/24/2016 10:41 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

>> On May 24, 2016, at 10:28 AM, Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> Footnote: before sending this I made sure to get the latest ESS. On an Xubuntu box I tried
>>> the instructions and they just didn't work.  It turns out that I had to remove
>>> /usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/savefile/*ess* before anything would take; until that point
>>> it continued to load 13.09-1, the version from the Ubuntu repository.
>>>   make install:  puts a new one in /etc/share/emacs
>>>   remove /etc/share/emacs23/ess and /etc/share/emacs23/savefile/*ess*
>>>   add /etc/share/emacs/site-lisp to my emacs path
>>> Now I see the new one.
>>>

>>> Terry T.
>>
>> Hi Terry:
>>

>> Not sure about the bug itself.  But, I looked at your installation problem.
>> And, frankly, I can’t imagine what went wrong.  Here, I don’t have a
>> savefile/*ess* nor can I see anyway that make install would create one.
>>
>> Rodney

I don't think that the ess "make install" created the file, rather that the "apt get"
process I used to install an earlier version of ESS from the xubuntu repository created
it.  How or why I can't say.  It wasn't a bug for ess to track or fix, just a heads up wrt
a question you might get from others one day.  That is why it was listed as a footnote to
the main question.

> FWIW, that behavior vis-a-vis \Sexpr{} and "$" characters has been in place for "years".
>
> The way that I avoid it is to create a result object in an R chunk before the LaTeX chunk, so that the "$" is not needed within the \Sexpr{}.
>
> An alternative might be to use with(DF, ColName) in the \Sexpr rather than DF$ColName.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz

I don't doubt that the annoying behavior has been there for years.  I'd like someone to
fix it.
I write in noweb/Sweave/knitr for clarity of documentation, with human readers as the
target.  Rewriting code in a less obvious form just to please a text editor is the wrong
approach.