[ESS] how to make ESS open 64-bit R instead of 32-bit R?

Kevin Wright kw.stat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:40:27 CET 2016

You can also explicitly tell emacs to use any version that you want.  Put
something like this in your .emacs file (this version is obviously for
Windows):

(setq inferior-R-program-name "c:/Progra~1/R/R-3.2.3/bin/x64/rterm.exe")

Downside to this is that you have to manually change this every time you
install a new version of R.

Kevin Wright

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:45 PM, Christopher W. Ryan <cryan at binghamton.edu>
wrote:

> I'm running:
> Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1
> on a 64-bit machine
> R 3.2.3
> emacs 24.3.1
> ESS 13.0.9
>
> The first part of my environment PATH reads like this:
> C:\Program Files\R;C:\Program Files
> (x86)\ImageMagick-6.8.9-Q16;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows; . . . .
> and nothing about R appears anywhere else in my path.
>
> My user path reads like this:
> C:\Program Files\R;C:\Users\ryanc\AppData\Local\Pandoc\
>
> When I open an .R or .Rnw file and execute a line of code, ESS opens up
> my 32-bit version of R.  Usually that has been fine, but now I have
> projects that need higher memory.limit(). I'd like my 64-bit version to
> open instead.  How can I accomplish that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Chris
>
> --
> Christopher W. Ryan, MD, MS
> cryanatbinghamtondotedu
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryancw
>
> Early success is a terrible teacher. You’re essentially being rewarded
> for a lack of preparation, so when you find yourself in a situation
> where you must prepare, you can’t do it. You don’t know how.
> --Chris Hadfield, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth

Kevin Wright