[ESS] ESS Plot from a remote machine

Sparapani, Rodney r@p@r@p@ @end|ng |rom mcw@edu
Thu Jun 30 15:15:13 CEST 2016

>Hi, I get some trouble while I try to use ESS for a remote session via
>tramp. I followed the instruction in the manual section 3.3 but I get
>this error when I try to produce a plot:

> > plot(1)
>Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyError in .External2(C_X11, d$display,
>d$width, d$height, d$pointsize,  :
>   unable to start device X11cairo
>In addition: Warning message:
>In (function (display = "", width, height, pointsize, gamma, bg,  :
>   unable to open connection to X11 display ''

Hi Ric:

Could it be a cookie issue?  Some systems are better at handling these
than others.  Here I often have to do it manually especially when I am
dealing with different usernames.  Something like…

xauth add remote.hostname/unix:110  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  d4hexgibberish

If so, then it is not an ESS issue.

Rodney