[ESS] "?" not working with Julia?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 12:19:07 CET 2016

Hi Stephen,

On Sat, 09-01-2016, at 22:09, Stephen Eglen <sje30 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Thanks. If I may ask, if on Julia you type, say
>>
>> help("fft")
>>
>> do you get an error? That is what I get with the generic Linux Binary for
>> Julia 0.4.2 (downloaded right now from the julia page) and v. 0.4.2-3 from
>> Debian sid. However, I do not get an error if I use Julia 0.3.12.
>
> hi Ramon,
>
> I see the same within Julia started from the terminal; I think I had to
> update the ESS code a while ago to use the new (0.4) interface for help.

But this is what I do not understand, because I have freshly installed ESS
from git and I am loading nothing but ESS. This is what I do:

- Remove all of the former ESS directory.

- Do as instructed in https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/wiki/Julia
  - git clone git://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS.git
  - git pull [not needed, but anyway]
  - make all

- Start Emacs as:  "emacs -Q"

- Execute (load "path/to/ESS/git/lisp/ess-site")
  [I do not need to specify the path tp inferior-julia-program-name, as it
  is in /usr/bin, but specifying it makes no difference ]

- M-x julia

- Try to get the help for something, and it fails with the "ERROR:
  UndefVarError: help not defined"

The following is the complete content of the *Messages* buffer contents
after the above (plus asking for ess and emacs versions):

######################################

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Type C-h m for help on ESS version 15.09-2 patched
ERROR: UndefVarError: help not defined
GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.6) of 2015-12-14 on binet, modified by Debian
ess-version: 15.09-2 patched [git: 837454b76475a4eb3256e288fe4149a927faefa9] (loaded from /home/ramon/Sources/ESS/)

#####################

This process does work on another computer, so something is different and
broken in one machine, but for the life of me I just can't understand what
it is. I compared ---with diff--- the ESS directories in both machines and
the *.el files are identical; also identical are the versions of Emacs and
Julia. I removed all of the *.elc under ESS/lisp to force usage of the
source .el files, and it still fails.

Best,

R.

--