[ESS] Tramp hangs when used with ESS

Guha, Rishab rishab_guha at g.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 25 17:35:54 CEST 2016

Hi,

Tramp has been hanging on 'Sending password' for me whenever I try to use
it. This includes the simplest test case of C-x C-f /sudo::/etc/hosts.

After some trial-and-error with my .emacs, it looks like the problem occurs
if and only if ESS is active. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure
out anything more than that. Debug log output from the simplest possible
test case, with init.el looking like http://pastebin.com/WVq9TTdA, is here:
http://pastebin.com/XJp7abc3

I haven't found any way of replicating this without activating ESS. Note
that though the message log says that Tramp is sending a password, I was
never prompted to enter a password--the minibuffer proceeded directly to
'Sending password'

This has been driving me crazy for the past couple of days--any help would
be really appreciated!

Best,

Rishab