[ESS] turning off ess-r-package-mode

Tyler Smith tyler at plantarum.ca
Wed Aug 24 21:34:34 CEST 2016

Hi,

I am working on a package that is currently unloadable (conflicts
between NAMESPACE and current R/ code). Working on this is very
difficult, because I can't convince ESS to treat my code files as
regular files, rather than as part of the package. For example, I can
pass a class definition to the running R process line-by-line with `C-c
C-n`.  However, if I try to do the same thing by selecting the region
and using `C-c C-r`, I get the error:

    + . + Error in library(package, character.only = TRUE) :
      there is no package called ‘flowPloidy’

I can't currently use `devtools::load_all()`, as there are bugs I need
to address before this is possible.

I have tried calling `M-x ess-r-package-mode` in both the source file
and the R process buffer, watching to see that the mode is *disabled* in
both locations. Even after I do this, the modeline in my R source buffer
includes the string "[R pkg]", and checking the value of
`minor-mode-list` reveals that even when `ess-r-package-mode` is
disabled, the value "ess-r-package-mode" is still present for the
buffer.

Normally this feature has been both super-useful and completely
unobtrusive. But I can't figure out how to get it to stop helping me.
How do I turn it off? I want to be able to load code into the global
environment using C-c C-r and C-c C-f.

Thanks,

Tyler

Emacs 25.1.1