[ESS] Change in ESS affects Org generating images through R session

William Denton wtd at pobox.com
Fri Apr 8 17:34:54 CEST 2016

It's possible a recent change in ESS has broken generating images with R in Org.
I raised this on the Org list and was asked to bring it over here (see below).

This works in Org, and generates an image:

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results graphics :file example.png
plot(1)
#+END_SRC

But if I start an R session (M-x R) and then run this, with :session, I get an
error.

#+BEGIN_SRC R :session :results graphics :file example.png
plot(1)
#+END_SRC

The error is

+ + Error: unexpected symbol in:
"plot(1)
},error=function(e){plot(x=-1:1, y=-1:1, type='n"

That's coming from the org-babel-execute:R function in Org's lisp/ob-R.el:

http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/tree/lisp/ob-R.el

I'm not good enough to pick out what's going on there or see how any recent
changes in ESS could have done something.

Now here is a bit from an email from Rainer Krug, with a few points about how he
identified where the problem may be:

> Working for me on

> OS X El Capitan
> GNU Emacs 25.0.92.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.3.0, NS appkit-1404.34 Version 10.11.3 (Build 15D21)) of 2016-03-07
> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-702-gcd47ab @ /Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> but not working anymore on
>
> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-709-g519f78 @/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> than I went back to
>
> Org-mode version 8.3.4 (release_8.3.4-702-gcd47ab @/Users/rainerkrug/.emacs.d/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> and it was not working either. But there was an update of ESS at the
> same time which should have caused this.
>
> OK - commit 9be858b of ESS is still fine.
>

> Could you please submit this to the ESS list?

Thanks,

Bill
--
Rainer M. Krug