[ESS] Tracebug. ess-own-frame problem

Paul Johnson p@u|john32 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 29 16:57:25 CEST 2015

See below concerning Vitalie's 3rd paragraph

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit using gmail.com> wrote:

> If the buffer is already open somewhere debuger should just pick that
> buffer. The problem is that sometimes this is not happening. Especially with
> multi frame environments.
>
> If the buffer is not visible, then the user can add a function to
> display-buffer-overriding-action in order to set the frame.
>
> I assume users who are dealing with custom multiframe environments have high
> familiarity with `display-buffer` system. So adding such a function shouldn't be
> a problem for them.

This last assumption is not correct.  Having multiple frames is not a
signal that the user understands anything about display-buffer.
Unsophisticated mouse users click File -> New Frame. Or put this in
init.el

(setq inferior-ess-own-frame t)

Another frame is just another box where a buffer lives. For editing C
or Java files, it is completely fine.

However, ESS developers don't generally use multiple frames, I run
into new problems. Several years ago I was following the "One on One
Emacs" page (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OneOnOneEmacs).  That
*looks* terrific.  I agree with the idea. But it broke ESS <-> SAS
communication. Now that Vitalie has worked on the multiple frame
problem, it might work and I may try it.

But ESS docs should just encourage users to run 2 windows in one
frame, one with *R* and one with R code.  Then the tracebug drama is
solved.

pj

As they say, its free software. When you break it, you get to keep all
the pieces.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science        Director