[ESS] project management in Emacs / ESS / R

Vitalie Spinu @p|nuv|t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 4 17:10:57 CEST 2015

I guess projectile (http://batsov.com/projectile/) is the de-facto standard for
managing projects. It supports search (many methods), navigation and replacing
within projects. It supports R projects by default. All version controlled
directories are also considered projects. You can make any directory a project
by adding ".projectile" empty file to it.

If you are a helm guy, then this helm+projectile walk through could be
interesting:

  http://tuhdo.github.io/helm-projectile.html

There is a pending issue on devtools integration
https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/issues/229. It's a low hanging fruit. I hope to
make it working by the next ESS release.

For a fancy replace functionality have a look at ag + wgrep + multiple-cursors
solutions explained at:

   http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/212/is-there-a-way-to-use-query-replace-from-grep-ack-ag-output-modes

I have no idea what RStudio is doing with the projects, but I highly doubt it
will ever come close to the above features.

What else would you need?

  Vitalie