[ESS] Interactive SAS mode hangs

Erin Jonaitis jonaitis at fstrf-wi.org
Fri Sep 25 16:01:51 CEST 2015

Hi Rodney,

Thanks so much for your reply. I share your belief that this should work! :)

I'm trying to find the SAS shell script without a lot of success. I'm not familiar with the conventions you're using in your command below -- should my command look something like
/usr/share/emacs/etc/ess/ess-sas-sh-command [arguments]?

I found a path that starts similarly:
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/etc/

but I don't see any trace of ESS. I looked in my .emacs file to find out where ESS is actually loading from, and this is where I found the file you mention:
/opt/ess-15.03/etc/ess-sas-sh-command

I tell you this for two reasons. One, could this different location be part of the problem? Two, the command you suggested didn't work -- I switched to that directory and typed
$ ess-sas-sh-command /dev/stdout /dev/stderr -stdio -noovp

and got:
$ bash: ess-sas-sh-command: command not found...

So I ran
$ less ess-sas-sh-command

and this is what I see:

#!/bin/sh
### A whole bunch of comments, GPL,etc

### This is commented out
#echo $0 $@
#sas </dev/tty 1>$1 2>$2 $3

### This isn't
set -x
stdout=$1
stderr=$2
shift 2
set +x
echo sas \</dev/tty 1\>$stdout 2\>$stderr $@
sas </dev/tty 1>$stdout 2>$stderr $@

The permissions on the file are 755 so in theory I should be able to execute it, but at any rate, hopefully seeing the file's innards answers the question you had.

Erin