[ESS] ESS 15.09-beta: please try it before release!

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at me.com
Fri Sep 18 17:42:25 CEST 2015

Building 15.09-beta fails for me with my usual scripts. It appears to be at the byte compiling of the 'lisp' directory stage. The last few lines of output from 'make' are

Source file `/Users/vincent/Emacs-modified/macos/ess-15.09-beta/lisp/ess-toolbar.el' newer than byte-compiled file
[ess-site:] before (ess-r-s-versions-creation) ...
[ess-site:] before creating ess-versions-* ...
[ess-site:] (let ... before (ess-r-versions-create) ...
[ess-site:] after ess-versions-created ...
[ess-site:] after ess-check-R-prog... ...
[ido:]
[ess-site:] *very* end ...
Source file `/Users/vincent/Emacs-modified/macos/ess-15.09-beta/lisp/ess-custom.el' newer than byte-compiled file
Fatal error (6)make[2]: *** [ess.elc] Abort trap: 6
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make: *** [ess] Error 2

On a side note, I noticed the following warnings while scrolling the messages. They're probably harmless and may even have been there in previous versions:

In toplevel form:
ess-custom.el:248:1:Warning: defcustom for `ess-can-eval-in-background' fails
    to specify containing group
ess-custom.el:391:1:Warning: defcustom for `ess-tab-complete-in-script' fails
    to specify containing group
ess-custom.el:1620:1:Warning: defcustom for `ess-getwd-command' fails to
    specify containing group
ess-custom.el:1623:1:Warning: defcustom for `ess-setwd-command' fails to
    specify containing group

This is all on OS X Yosemite with GNU make 3.81 from XCode 7.0.

Hope this helps.

v.