[ESS] how to use Stata in Emacs (with ess)

ollie_m olivier.ma.dq at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:09:32 CEST 2015

Vitalie Spinu-2 wrote
> The stat program name is configured in inferior-STA-program-name variable
> which is by default "stata". So, either you should point that variable to
> stata process. Or add the directory with your stata.exe to your Path
> variable and restart emacs.

Hi Vitalie, Can you give me some detail on how to point the variable
inferior-STA-program-name to the stata process?

As I understand it, the value of the inferior-STA-program-name variable
should be the name of the Stata program, so I changed the variable name to
StataSE, and I added my Stata program folder (D:/Programs/Stata) to the
system path.

Now when I highlight some lines and C-x C-r, Emacs, like always, asks me
"Starting data directory?" after I give it my directory, instead of running
the code in Emacs, it starts my Stata (in its own window) and does nothing,
and Emacs freezes and I have to force close the window.

Where did I go wrong?