[ESS] Failure to parse long R functions when ess-eval-visibly nil

Andreas Leha @ndre@@@|eh@ @end|ng |rom med@un|-goett|ngen@de
Wed Oct 7 22:25:53 CEST 2015

Hi Vitalie,

Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit using gmail.com> writes:
> This is a known problem with ess-remote. I have no idea why the characters are
> lost. It's some emacs shell bug which I couldn't figure out last time I looked
> into it. This problem is almost impossible to reproduce consistently and debug
> properly.
>
> I suggest you stick with tramp. This problem never occurs with tramp and you
> have full set of ESS features on remotes, while ess-remote provides only a very
> limited functionality.

I have reported this problem a while back, too [1].

I'd also recommend using tramp where possible.  I just want to mention
again, that to my knowledge that won't work with screen/tmux sessions on
the remote side.  So, that advice won't help for most of my remote work.

(Most of my remote sessions live inside a screen session, because my
remote sessions are typically long and computationally intensive and
often even initiate submissions to a cluster.  If they were not, I would
run that on the local machine.)

Thanks,
Andreas

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.ess.general/8690