[ESS] knitr and ESS

Ottorino ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Wed Oct 14 14:49:02 CEST 2015

Here you are the purged history from the terminal.
I cannot document precisely what i did yesterday night from emacs.
I refreshed some obsolete packages (auctex ??)

But I agree with you on the strangeness of the matter.
I'm far from being a lisp literate, but on repeating the procedure on my
desktop, I ended with a weirdly working emacs.

The message I get this time on opening emacs-24.4 from terminal  is
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*" to type FontStruct
I also found a possible solution here

but unfortunately the solution do not work on my system.
Still struggling

############### HISTORY
Attempts with emacs 24.1, ess 13.09 R 3.0.2

   382  sudo apt-get install markdown
   383  sudo apt-get install emacs-goodies-el
   384  sudo apt-get install pandoc
   390  pandoc --version
The system was complaining about a too old version of pandoc.
I then installed pandoc 1.15.0.6 from
https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/releases/download/1.15.0.6/pandoc-1.15.0.6-1-amd64.deb

Download of polymode, and modification of my .emacs
   427  cd Documenti/
   428  cd BitBucket/
   429  git clone https://github.com/vitoshka/polymode.git

Installation of packages to compile emacs 24.4.
   439      sudo apt-get install build-essential texinfo libx11-dev
libxpm-dev libjpeg-dev libpng-dev libgif-dev libtiff-dev libgtk2.0-dev
libncurses-dev

Installation of emacs 24.4
   451  ./configure
   453  make
   454  makefile
   455  emacs-24.4

Refresh of the GPG key and change the repository to
deb https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu trusty/
Yesterday it was not possible to reach the italian repository on unipd

   456  sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys
E084DAB9

Installation of ess 15.09 and R 3.2.2

   460  sudo apt-get install r-base-core r-base-dev
   461  apt-get autoremove
   464  sudo apt-get update
   465  sudo apt-get upgrade
   470  sudo apt-get install ess