[ESS] remote R

Vitalie Spinu @p|nuv|t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 6 16:40:44 CET 2015

 >>> Andreas Leha on Fri, 6 Mar 2015 09:27:12 +0000 wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I have two questions about connecting to a remote R session.

 > (1) What is the state of connecting to a remote R session running in
 > tmux/screen?

Still no special support for screen or tmux.

 > I guess this is due to my setup somewhere, but before I start
 > digging: Is that something that I can get rid off by changing
 > settings on my end? Is anyone using ess/remote/tmux/R successfully?

I have no experience. Cannot comment.

 > (b) large regions

 > The whole thing works better if I use screen instead of tmux.  But there
 > I have issues when submitting larger regions, where R would suddenly
 > complains about 'unexpected symbol' while it accepts the code when I send
 > in smaller chunks.

 > Is there a solution to that?  (Other than the work around of not sending
 > large regions....)

Yeh. I have noticed these years ago and have no idea of why this is
happening. It's something very low level (no ESS specific) which I
couldn't debug or even find a reproducible example.

 > (2) Different R version remote

 > As I understand it, the 'preferred' way to start remote R is to

Yeh. Not ideal for complex work, but what can we do.

 > But then, how do I start R-devel, e.g., on the remote machine?

Something along the following lines:

 (defun R-dev-remote ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((inferior-R-program-name "R-dev"))
     (R)))

Vitalie