[ESS] R + ESS + org - do I gain anything when adding CEDET?

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:34:03 CET 2015

On Tue, 24-03-2015, at 17:23, Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug at gmail.com> wrote:
> Envoyé de mon iPhone
>
>> Le 24 mars 2015 à 17:06, Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa at mcw.edu> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Rainer:
>>
>> > Does the semantic parser work for R (it is not listed on their page [1])?
>>
>> No, I don’t think so.  Tony was working on that, but I don’t think he
>> ever finished it.  But, beyond that, I have used CEDET for C++.  I hope
>> this does not offend anyone, but it is totally satanic to set up.

ECB, which is related to CEDET and semantic (though in ways I've never
understood ---and this might be related to the satanic nature of the beast)
does understand R somewhat. Function definitions for sure. With other
elements (data, packages) it does funny things.

I am attaching a screenshot.

> That was my impression as will,  After googling around.
>

>> And,
>> maybe I don’t know how to set it up right, but it wasn’t all that helpful.
>
> Thanks - if it was not that helpful for C, than I don't expect it to be
> more useful for R.

I use ECB (and whatever that brings along of cedet and semantic) with R and
C++ sometimes. Most of the time not, though, since ECB takes up space, and
when I have a decent idea of what the code is doing, I was using it mainly
to move around quickly between function definitions, and I found
ido-goto-symbol (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ImenuMode#toc11) and
imenu-anywhere (https://github.com/vspinu/imenu-anywhere) a lot nicer for
that.

Best,