[ESS] R + ESS + org - do I gain anything when adding CEDET?

Vitalie Spinu spinuvit at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:10:57 CET 2015

No semantic parser for R as yet, so CEDET is pretty much useless at this
point. But here is my 2 cents on its usage in general.

To the best of my knowledge CEDET is mostly useful for completion and
for directory/file/var navigation.

The semantic completion engine is usually used as input to completion
back-ends like auto-complete/company/helm. ESS[R] is good enough with
completion at this stage, so semantic completion is really not a big
deal.

Directory/file/object navigation in CEDET are "user friendly trees" like
in other IDEs and encourages mouse usage. It feels to me that
"projectile" fills this need much better, but I have never used CEDET
beyond didactic interest.

So to wrap up, ESS should define asap a notion of an R project such that
it can be directly used with stuff like projectile.

  Vitalie