[ESS] ESS unable to find R on Linux when emacs started by opening a .R file

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:50:39 CEST 2015

Hi Stephen,

This is opening the .R file with Emacs (Emacs client is a different option
/ programme that I don't use much), and that initiates a new Emacs
window/instance - it doesn't reuse an existing Emacs window that I have
open.

I see the same limited path

("/usr/local/bin" "/usr/local/sbin" "/usr/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/bin" "/sbin"
"/usr/libexec/emacs/24.5/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu")

if I open a .txt file.

A little google searching suggest something similar can affect Mac OS X too
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/550/exec-path-and-path so i wonder
if this is something more to do with Gnome 3.16 and /or how Fedora have it
and emacs configured.

For now I can hard code the correct paths by adding them to exec-path in my
.emacs file. I'll also follow up with a bug report in Fedora's bugzilla
about Emacs starting with different paths depending on how it is invoked.

Cheers

Gavin

--
Gavin Simpson, PhD