[ESS] Option to set Emacs/ESS not to ask for a new or switch to an existing inferior R process

Vitalie Spinu @p|nuv|t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jan 14 11:37:13 CET 2015

 >>> Frede Aakmann Tøgersen on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 07:55:27 +0100 wrote:

[...]

 > inferior R process then when opening a second R script file it seem
 > to be associated to this unique running R process buffer
 > automatically (found out because functions arguments is displayed in
 > minibuffer and this only happens when script file is associated to an
 > R inferior process).

No. If the current buffer has no association, eldoc asks first available
process (if any). To check if the buffer is associated with a process,
you should consult `ess-local-process-name` variable.

 > However having two R script files with each having an associated R
 > inferior process then when opening a third script file I'm still
 > asked. See attached png.

Asked when? ESS naturally asks that when execute the code from that
script, but eldoc should not ask. I cannot reproduce this and I have no
idea how that could happen unless you have some custom completion code
that pings R process behind your back.

  Vitalie