[ESS] ESS + Stata: Getting indentation right in Stata-mode editor

Aaron Ponce aarjpon at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:59:29 CET 2015

I've noticed that indentation in Stata-mode doesn't quite work right in
ESS. For comments /* */ at the end of lines or after the continuation
sequence /// subsequent lines indent indefinitely. For code of more than 2
lines, this can get very nested looking (see below):

recode educ 0 = 1 ///
    5 = 2 ///
        10 = 3 ///
            15 = 4 ///
                20 = 5 ///
                    25 = 6

Is there a workaround for this? I *really* like running Stata through ESS
and would love to use it this way as much as I can.

For now, I've been editing in Bill Rising's ado mode and sending to Stata
through ESS. The drawback to this approach is that every time I open a new
do file (which I do often to edit single lines here and there for a big
project), I have to indicate which dialect of ESS I am using in the buffer
line.

Thanks!

AP