[ESS] Julia in ESS

Tamas Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:33:44 CEST 2015

On Sat, Apr 11 2015, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >>> Stephen Eglen on Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:27:33 +0100 wrote:
>
>  > I'm willing to help, as I've been experimenting a bit with Julia of
>  > late.
>
>  > Vitalie: re PR 122 on github, were there any issues you had, or shall I
>  > start afresh looking through that?
>
>  > https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/pull/122
>
> That's not an easy issue. We have discussed this before. In order to
> merge 122 the core ESS must be modified to work in a standard emacs
> way. That is,
>
>   1) Split ess-mode into standalone modes (R-mode, stata-mode,
>     julia-mode etc) and make them inherit from ess-mode.
>   2) Make interaction functionality a minor mode such that it can  be
>     plugged into any of the modes from (2).
>
> There are other ways to merge 122 but it would be called "patching" and
> I am not willing to do patching (yet again) because (1) and (2) must be
> done anyways.
>
> Now that we have passed 15.03 we can start re-factoring and aim to
> complete it by 15.09. If you start looking into it, it would be good to
> create a separate branch specifically for this issue.

Please let us know when this branch is available --- once you have
something semi-functional for the ess-mode a julia-mode can inherit
from, I would be happy to start incorporating changes.

In the meantime, I will keep piling up code in
https://github.com/tpapp/ESS-julia-extensions , building on (and
occasionally hijacking) existing ESS stuff. I am still discovering
corner cases that I need to deal with (eg I just fixed $ interpolations
in strings), so I can spend the time in a useful way until changes above
happen.

BTW, with the extensions above, I find ESS/julia is quite usable,
definitely better (for my purposes) than anything else I have seen,
including Juno, the dedicated Julia editor.

Best,

Tamas