[ESS] Julia in ESS

Tamas Papp tkpapp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:36:12 CEST 2015

Hi,

Now that ESS 15.03 is released, I was wondering what the plans of the
ESS team are regarding Julia support.

I have been an ESS user for a long time now (interacting with R), and
IMO it would be easier to make ESS fully support Julia than to duplicate
its functionality in another, new Emacs package, but I don't know if
ESS developers think this is worth supporting.

I would like to contribute to ESS to make it work better with Julia, but
I would appreciate some guidance from ESS developers on what their plans
are. In particular, are you guys planning to merge this PR 122, or is
there some reason that makes this approach non-viable and would require
another solution?

I have code piling up in https://github.com/tpapp/ESS-julia-extensions
which I would be happy to merge eventually once these issues are
resolved, and continue working on ESS/Julia.

Best,

Tamas