[ESS] Polymode

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Apr 2 13:34:04 CEST 2015

On Windows I have installed Emacs 24.4 and ESS 14.09 using Vince
Goulet's distribution. I am having a lot of trouble with processing .Rnw
and .Rmd files using knitr. I am aware of the M-n w and M-n e commands
(and the related M-n W and M-n E commands). I am able to weave
successfully, but exporting (which I understand should use pdfLaTeX for
a .Rnw file) just seems to hang showing no output and I have no idea
what is going on. This possibly happens when I have a problem in my file
(such as a beamer slide which includes verbatim but is not specified as
fragile), but I really don't know. For .Rmd files I resorted to a
creating a .bat file using render from the rmarkdown package, which was
reasonably successful, but was not the best workflow in my view. I would
really like to be able to just process .Rnw files as previously with M-n
s followed by M-n P, but I am far from that at present.

Another problem I have at the moment is with M-n w adding '[weaved]' to
the name of the file. First of all that causes a proliferation of files,
secondly clicking on the icon to view any resulting pdf causes a file
not found error because the file name looked for doesn't have '[weaved]'
added to it.

(To be totally unreasonable, the choice of the word 'weaved' to be added
to the file name grates on me like finger nails on a blackboard. The
appropriate adjective for an object which has been created by weaving is
'woven'.)

So. Can anyone explain to me how to process a .Rnw file and view the
resulting pdf? Also, how to stop the addition of [weaved] to the file name?

Failing that, can anyone explain how to modify auto-mode-alist so that
instead of polymode, it invokes the old noweb where there is a menu and
M-n s and M-n P work as before, and I can tangle a file? I am afraid
that I just don't get lisp programming, so words of one syllable how to
do that would be good.

Finally, despite what appears above, let me say that I am grateful to
Vitalie and all the other ESS developers, and in no way wish to
disparage their efforts. ESS with AUCTeX is just *the* best environment
for R and TeX and is hugely important to me. Thanks to Vince also for
his distribution.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018