[ESS] Polymode is on MELPA

Phillip Lord phillip.lord at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Sep 16 14:55:41 CEST 2014

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz at gmail.com> writes:
> are you aware of outshine [fn:1] / outorg [fn:2]?

I know they exist, but I haven't used them heavily. When I wrote
linked-buffer I was focusing on latex and clojure (which was my driving
use case). Once I'd written that, org->el isn't that much effort.

> They let you work permanently in an ESS buffer and create an org buffer
> (the *outorg-edit-buffer*) whenever you want to edit comment-text (or
> export to backends or do other Org-mode stuff). Think standard
> literate-programming turned upside-down - the programming-mode becomes
> the "master", org-mode (i.e. the text mode) becomes the 'slave' that is
> only called on demand. This simplifies things quite a bit, and is very
> convenient when the programming is more important than the writing.

The el->org support that I am doing at the moment uses the same logic. I
have it mostly working now.

> Outorg treats programming-modes (like R-mode) and org-mode as two
> different views on the same (org-style structured) file, and makes it
> easy and fast to switch between both views. Use the git trunk-branches
> if you want to check it out, they are developed towards a kind of
> 'org-minor-mode'.
>
> You can use Outshine/Outorg in all programming-modes and some other
> text-modes (like message-mode) too, e.g. I'm writing this email in the
> *outorg-edit-buffer* to make insertions of footnotes easier.

I should give it a good go. It's a similar idea. The only difference is
mine can transform text between views. So, for instance, I can convert
between

;;; Headers:

in Emacs-lisp and

* Headers

in org-mode.

Anyway, this is supposed to be the ESS mailing list and I appear to have
hijacked it with linked-buffer evangalism. Apologies!

Phil