[ESS] feature request: shell support

Ista Zahn istazahn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:28:59 CEST 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Sparapani, Rodney <rsparapa at mcw.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 14:02 -0400, Ista Zahn wrote:
>> I hope you'll forgive me for resurrecting this old thread, but I
>> thought some of you might be interested in
>> https://github.com/kaz-yos/eval-in-repl/, and emacs package that
>> implements ESS-like interaction for several modes, including essh-mode
>> and python-mode. I've been using it for a few weeks now, and find it
>> quite stable and easy to use.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ista
>
> Hi Ista:
>
> I like to revive old threads, but it was 9-10 months ago; and, as I
> recall, controversial.  Please remind us why we need this.

Basically ESS is awesome, so long as you are using one of the
supported languages (R, Julia, SAS etc.). Many of us get spoiled by
the awesomeness of ESS, and miss it sorely when we have to write code
in bash, python, or some other language not supported by ESS.
eval-in-repl fills the gap by providing an ESS-like interface for
working with shell scripts, python scripts, and several other
languages. It's not full-blown ESS, but for me good enough.

The "controversy" (if any) earlier in the thread was about adding
support for "non-statistical' languages to ESS, or splitting out the
sub-process handling part of ESS so that it could be used with other
languages. That could still happen, but in the meantime, if you want
something like ESS-lite for shell script, python, etc. you can try
eval-in-repl.

Best,
Ista