[ESS] Setting paths to R versions in different directories

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 12:50:30 CET 2014

So the 0.02 cents of a elisp-illiterate user: I've actually used that
variable (ess-r-versions) from time to time over the yeast, and I find its
current behavior simple and (even) intuitive:

Most of the time (when I do not setq the variable to anything) things just
work fine out of the box and I never touch the variable. Now, if I need
something exotic (e.g., I had an R-99 around once, because of some naming
conventions of mine), I place the relevant piece (enough to disambiguate)
in the setq, eval it, and things just work.

As for the name, I actually see the point of it being called
"ess-r-versions": the R versions (or names for the versions) that ess knows
about.

So I would not change a thing (but of course, I do none of the work of
changing/not-changing or maintaining the code, so disregard as
appropriate).

Best,

R.

On Tue, 28-10-2014, at 09:02, Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Vitalie Spinu <spinuvit at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  >>> Stephen Eglen on Tue, 28 Oct 2014 05:55:54 +0000 wrote:
>>
>>  >> How about having only `R-program-start-regexp` and set it to "^R-"?
>>
>>  > okay, but "start-regexp" is confusing: 1) if it says start, would you
>>  > expect to have to add ^ [caret] for start of string
>>
>> Good point. R-program-name-regexp is better.
>>
>>  > 2) ess-find-exec-completions() does the hard work of finding the R
>>  > versions, and a quick browse suggests that ess-r-versions should
>>  > contain strings, not regexps.
>>
>> Sure. The idea was to change the code a bit and make the whole interface
>> simpler and more general all at once.
>>
>> But now that I think about it, it's probably not worth the flame. Better
>> to rename ess-R-versions and leave only one "R-" string in that list.
>>

> ​Renaming is fine... but the 2nd proposal is not really:
>
> See, many people / instituttions have small​
>
> ​R related helper utilities in their PATH,
> have left exactly the
> R-<n>... , R-patched* and R-devel*  for R versions.
>
> Making all "R-" strings into potential R executables would be quite
> disruptive for all those places.
> So, no, do not extend that list.
> Martin
>

>>   Vitalie