[ESS] Remote R session

Riccardo Romoli ric.romoli at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 10:10:22 CEST 2014

Hi to everybody, I use R(3.1.1) in Debian wheezy with emacs23 and ess 13.09-1. I would run an R process on a remote machine from an R script in my laptop. So from within emacs I load my R script, I ssh to the remote machine and start a new R session, than I use M-x ess-remote to connect the remote R process to my local R script. All works well until I try to load some function from my laptop (local machine) and send it to the remote R. Whenever I try to do this I get the following error:

source('myFunction.R') Error in file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) : cannot open the connection In addition: Warning message: In file(filename, "r", encoding = encoding) : cannot open file 'myFunction.R': No such file or directory

If I switch to the R console and I getwd() the console says that I am in the home directory of the remote machine.

I followed the instruction from the paragraph 3.3 in ess web-site.
Where do I wrong? Should I place all my data and scripts in the remote machine?! Is there a way to work with the scripts from my local pc?!

All the best, Riccardo