[ESS] ESS, devtools, and documentation

Timothy W. Hilton thilton at ucmerced.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:25:41 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm unable to access documentation for an R package I'm developing while
using devtools within ESS.  Starting R within ESS and attempting to
access some docs that I wrote:

M-x R
> library(devtools)
> load_all('VPRM_Rpckg')
> ?Park_Falls

A message then appears in the minibuffer:
No documentation for ‘Park_Falls’ in specified packages and libraries:

If I start R from the shell prompt the above sequence displays the
documentation for Park_Falls, as expected.

ess-version: 14.09 [svn: 6041 (2014-09-13)] (loaded from /Users/tim/.emacs.d/ess-14.09/)
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of
2014-10-08 on Timothys-MacBook-Air.local

Any advice much appreciated!  I really love coding in ESS but accessing
my own documentation is pretty important to me as I try to finalize this
package I'm working on.

As always, thanks for making the excellent ESS available to the
community!

best,
Tim

--